The Pick ‘n Pay road race is one of my favourite races. I’ve completed the half marathon three times and last year, I enjoyed the 8km fun run. Looking back, there are always moments during a race which stand out for me. Here are the ones from this particular race:
- At 15 minutes before the race started, there were no queues at the loo’s. Bonus!
- Even if I thought we were standing close to the front of the start pack, when the race started, it looked like a kilometer of runners stretched out in front of us.
- I have started to recognise the same faces from previous races and it’s great to say hello as we head on out.
- Another runner stopped me as we headed close to the 3 km mark and told me she remembered me so clearly from the Johnson Crane race. (That’s all she said? I hope it was a good thing.)
- You get water points and you get water points. But two water points on this race rocked!
- Having KK meet me at the 19km mark to run me to the finish line – Wonderful! I was filled with emotion.
- A girl who had run slightly ahead of me the entire way slowed down in the last kilometer. I pushed her in front of me when we got to the field. It’s only right that she deserved to finish the race ahead of me.
- Don’t under-estimate the awesomeness of a hotdog after running 21.1km!
If you ran and would like to add to my list, feel free to do so.
See you next year Pick ‘n Pay!