My nose was hit by the most amazing scent of jasmine on my run this morning. I love jasmine. It’s one of my favorite shrubs. Not only because of the strong scent of the flower but because it signifies a change of season; of new beginnings. Spring.
I know what you’re thinking – Bron, it’s way too early for spring. It’s only mid-July. But I’ve noticed it flowering earlier and earlier every year.
Jasmine picked on my run in 2013
My winter hibernation is coming to an end too. I’ve started to run more regularly. Not far – maybe a 4km run here and there. Running my own business has allowed for more freedom with my time and I’ve managed to run during the day when there’s less traffic and much warmer weather.
We’ve entered the popular Discovery Vitality Run Series and I hope to be a tad fitter when we run those races. The first race is on the 11th of August which is only 3 weeks away.
The other exciting news is that I’ve also joined a fitness group! A stone’s throw away from home, I’m enjoying that delayed feeling of stiff muscles after each workout. As the website puts it, “… classes incorporate functional body-weight movements and High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to develop fitness and burn fat faster.” Sounds good to me. What appeals is that there’s no pressure either. Everyone trains at their own pace.
We recently went on a weekend away trip to the Drakensberg and I hated that feeling of weakness in my body. I struggled to keep up on the hikes. I felt exhausted and knew my weight gain had become uncontrollable. I was miserable.
So I have set myself a goal of losing 5kgs in time for summer. For the first time in ages, my headspace is right. I’m a lot more motivated. I know I can do this.
The smell of jasmine. Sweaty afternoon faces after a run or a FabFitSlay workout and watching the sun setting later and later. It’s time!
1. After being brave for so long, we made the decision to put Annie down before she suffered. It radically changed our relationship with Emma. Not a day goes by without us thinking of Little Annie Panks. | 2. I joined a bunch of friends walking dogs at a dog shelter. It was hard work but so rewarding. | 3. We went away with friends to Parys. A weekend of park run, long lunches, popcorn, 30 Seconds and wine. | 4. All CW-X stock is on sale & we managed to sell most of the average sizes. | 5. I started to crochet! It’s fantastic to zone out & detox from devices. | 6. KK and I attended an Enneagram course. Turns out we’re both perfectionist but I avoid conflict. I just want harmony. Funny that. | 7. Another weekend away to the ‘Berg. Good for the soul but boy did it get cold! | 8. Getting artsy fartsy and visiting the Standard Bank gallery. | 9. KK and I ran Old Eds. The running bug has bitten! We’re back!
With so many wonderful memories, I must admit that the signs of Spring could not have come at a better time. That welcoming feeling of warmth, renewal and fresh beginnings. Exactly what I needed most!
I know it’s only the end of August, but there are certain cues that alert me that Summer (and the end of the year) is fast approaching.
- Spring has arrived. Yes, I’m stating the obvious but I can smell that the season has changed. I can smell rain in the air. I can smell freshly cut grass and braai’s.
- I’m able to run much later in the afternoons because the sun now sets after 6pm. Huge bonus.
- The smell of jasmine is everywhere! This is one of my favourite smells.
- KK and I have planned our annual weekend getaway to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
- Santa Shoebox entries open this week and before you know, it’ll be the drop-off weekend.
- I received a meeting invite to a work conference happening in February 2016. What?
- We’ve started having casual conversations as to which family member will host Christmas.
- KK has already put in his December annual leave dates at work. Yikes!
- I have this sudden urge to go to the nursery and buy plants and do some gardening.
- I’ve started seeing pictures posted on Facebook of kids in swimming pools. When we were young, there was a silly rule about waiting for the first Summer rains?
This is my favourite time of the year! People come out of that gloomy Winter slump. It’s so wonderful to be outdoors and in the sun. Everywhere I hear people saying, “Shew, it’s going to be a long hot Summer!”
I’m not complaining. Bring it!
While out on my run this evening, I was suddenly engulfed by the awesome smell of… jasmine. It’s one of my favourite smells! Together with the sun which is setting later in the evening and the warm days, Spring is definitely in the air. I ran the rest of the way home clutching my piece of jasmine with the biggest smile on my face! Best. Run. Ever.